Are you craving a sweet and fluffy treat that will leave your taste buds begging for more? Look no further than these mouthwatering candied yam with marshmallows recipes.
You won’t be able to resist the irresistible combination of tender sweet potatoes, gooey marshmallows, and a hint of caramelized goodness.
Whether you prefer the oven or stovetop method, we’ve covered you with step-by-step instructions and expert tips.
Get ready to indulge in a delectable dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth like never before!
- Crushed pecans can be used as an alternative to marshmallows.
- Roasting yams in the oven brings out their natural sweetness and caramelizes them.
- Vegan marshmallow alternatives are gaining popularity.
- The sweetness of the marshmallow topping variations adds an irresistible touch to candied yams.
Introduction to Candied Yam With Marshmallows Recipes
Candied yams are a delicious and sweet side dish that is often served during special occasions and holiday meals. Made from sweet potatoes, this classic dish is a crowd-pleaser with its gooey marshmallow topping and warm spices.
To make candied yams, start by peeling and cutting the sweet potatoes into cubes. Place them in a baking dish and sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Dot the sweet potatoes with butter and pour orange juice over the top.
Cover the dish with foil and bake in a preheated oven until the sweet potatoes are tender and the flavors have melded together. Then, remove the foil and layer mini marshmallows on top of the sweet potatoes. Return the dish to the oven and bake until the marshmallows are golden brown and melted.
The result is a sweet and fluffy dish that pairs perfectly with any holiday table. Whether you’re making candied yams for a special occasion or just craving a classic holiday side dish, this recipe is sure to be a hit. So go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds will thank you!
Are you looking for alternatives to marshmallows when it comes to candied yams? Want to know the best cooking methods to achieve that perfect balance of sweetness and tenderness? Need some serving suggestions to elevate your yam dish to the next level?
Look no further as we dive into all things yams and explore delicious options, techniques, and ideas that will have your taste buds dancing with delight.
Marshmallow Alternatives for Yams
You can use crushed pecans as an alternative to marshmallows for your yams. Not only does it add a delightful crunch, but it also brings a nutty flavor that perfectly complements the yams’ sweetness.
Vegan marshmallow alternatives are becoming increasingly popular, and crushed pecans offer a creative twist to traditional candied yam recipes. Sprinkle them over your baked or mashed yams before serving for an eye-catching presentation that will impress your guests.
The contrast between the soft, creamy texture of the yams and the crispy surface of the pecans creates a mouthwatering sensation with every bite.
Preparation Time: Tips for Efficient Cooking
The estimated preparation time for Candied Yams with Marshmallows is approximately 20 to 30 minutes. This includes the time needed to peel, slice, and prepare the yams, as well as assembling the dish with marshmallows before baking. Keep in mind that actual preparation time may vary based on your kitchen experience and the specific equipment you have.
To save time when preparing candied yams with marshmallows, it’s important to preheat the oven while peeling and cutting the potatoes. This simple step allows you to maximize your efficiency in the kitchen, ensuring that every minute counts. Time-saving techniques and shortcuts are essential when whipping delicious meals without sacrificing taste or quality. Take a look at the table below for some handy tips on how to streamline your cooking process:
|Time Saving Techniques||Shortcuts in the Kitchen||Efficiency Tips|
|Prepare ingredients ahead of time||Use pre-cut vegetables||Optimize workspace|
|Utilize kitchen gadgets and tools||Buy pre-made sauces or dressings||Clean as you go|
|Plan meals in advance||Cook in bulk and freeze leftovers||Use timers|
Cooking Time: Oven vs. Stovetop Methods
When deciding between oven and stovetop methods for cooking the yams, you’ll want to consider factors such as time, texture, and convenience. The cooking time is crucial, especially if you’re looking for a quick and easy option. For this reason, many people turn to slow cookers or pressure cookers to speed up the process. To help you make an informed decision, here’s a comparison of the cooking times between these two methods:
|Method||Slow Cooker||Pressure Cooker|
|Cooking Time||4-6 hours||20-30 minutes|
As shown in the table above, using a slow cooker will require several hours of cooking time compared to the much faster pressure cooker method. This makes the pressure cooker a great choice when you’re short on time but still want deliciously tender yams. Whether you prefer the slow-cooked flavor or need a quicker option, both methods offer their advantages in taste and convenience.
Serves/Yields: Portion Sizes for Candied Yams With Marshmallows
For optimal portion sizes of your candied yams with marshmallows, you’ll want to consider the number of servings and adjust accordingly. Portion control is vital when enjoying this sweet and fluffy dish without overindulging. To help you navigate through the serving sizes, here’s a table that shows the recommended portions based on the number of people you’re serving:
|Number of Servings||Recommended Portion Size|
|7+||1 1/2 cups|
Remember that these are just recommendations and can be adjusted according to personal preferences. By practicing portion control, you can savor every spoonful of these delectable candied yams while maintaining a healthy diet balance. Enjoy!
Ingredients: Sweet Potatoes
The recommended portion sizes for the candied yams with marshmallows recipe are based on the number of servings you’re making. Whether hosting a small gathering or an enormous feast, ensuring everyone gets the right amount of this delectable dish is essential.
Here are some key points to keep in mind:
- The sweetness of the marshmallow topping variations adds an irresistible touch to your candied yams.
- Roll little balls of the mixture and coat with chocolate powder.
- Their vibrant orange color shines through as you slice into these tender sweet potatoes.
- The warm aroma fills your kitchen, triggering memories of cozy holiday gatherings.
- Each bite perfectly balances the yams’ softness and the melted marshmallows’ gooey sweetness.
Essential Equipment/Tools Needed
Now that your sweet potatoes are ready, it’s time to gather the essential equipment and tools needed to create the perfect candied yams with marshmallows. With these cooking utensils and kitchen appliances, you can whip up a delectable dish to impress everyone at your table.
- A large pot: This will be used to boil the sweet potatoes until they are tender and ready for mashing.
- A potato masher: The key to achieving that smooth and creamy texture is a sturdy potato masher.
- A baking dish: This is where all the magic happens. You’ll need a good-sized baking dish to layer the mashed sweet potatoes and top them with marshmallows.
- Aluminum foil: Cover the baking dish while it bakes in the oven, ensuring those marshmallows turn golden brown and gooey.
- An oven: You must remember this essential kitchen appliance. It will help transform your candied yams into a mouthwatering masterpiece.
With these tools, embark on a culinary adventure of sweet flavors and fluffy goodness!
Step-by-Step Instructions: Baking Candied Yams With Marshmallows
Gather all the necessary ingredients before baking your creamy and golden brown dish. Here’s what you’ll need for baking candied yams with marshmallows:
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
Step 2: Prepare the Yams
- Peel the yams and slice them into rounds or chunks. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
Step 3: Season the Yams
- Place the yam slices in a bowl. Drizzle melted butter over them and add brown sugar or maple syrup for sweetness. Optionally, sprinkle ground cinnamon and nutmeg for flavor.
Step 4: Toss to Coat
- Gently toss the yams in the bowl to coat them evenly with the butter and seasonings.
Step 5: Arrange in Baking Dish
- Transfer the seasoned yams to a baking dish, arranging them evenly.
Step 6: Cover and Bake
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, until the yams are tender when pierced with a fork.
Step 7: Prepare Marshmallows
- While the yams are baking, prepare enough mini marshmallows to cover the top of the yams.
Step 8: Add Marshmallows
- Once the yams are tender, remove the baking dish from the oven. Spread the mini marshmallows evenly over the yams.
Step 9: Return to Oven
- Place the baking dish back in the oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until the marshmallows are golden brown and toasted.
Step 10: Serve
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving. Your candied yams with marshmallows are ready to enjoy!
Keep an eye on the yams and marshmallows as they cook to achieve your desired level of tenderness and browning. Enjoy your delicious baked candied yams with marshmallows!
Expert Tips for Baking Candied Yams With Marshmallows
Once you’ve gathered all the necessary ingredients, it’s time to discover some helpful tips for baking your delectable candied yams with marshmallows. Here are a few pointers to make your dish genuinely outstanding:
- Instead of using regular marshmallows, try flavored ones like cinnamon or maple for extra sweetness.
- Consider topping your yams with caramelized brown sugar and pecans for a gooey alternative to marshmallows.
- To save on cooking time, parboil the yams before baking them. This will help soften them and reduce overall baking time.
- Add a hint of citrus by squeezing fresh orange juice over the yams before adding any toppings. It will bring out the natural sweetness even more.
- For a crispy twist, sprinkle crushed graham crackers on the marshmallows.
With these simple tips, you’ll create an irresistible dish everyone will love.
Now, let’s learn about the nutrition facts per serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
You can check the label on the packaging to find the nutritional information per serving. But don’t worry; I’ve got you covered with a quick rundown of the nutrition facts for candied yams with marshmallows.
Here’s a handy table to break it down for you:
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)||Amount|
Now that you know what you’re working with, let’s talk about alternative sweeteners for yams. Instead of using traditional brown sugar, try maple syrup or honey for a healthier twist. And when it comes to creative yam toppings, think outside the box! Try sprinkling chopped nuts or coconut flakes over your dish.
If you’re short on time and want to reduce cooking time for your yams, consider cutting them into smaller pieces or parboiling them before baking. This will help speed up the process without sacrificing flavor.
Regarding recipe variations for candied yams, there are endless possibilities. Add spices like cinnamon and nutmeg for an extra kick of flavor, or experiment with different types of marshmallows – mini marshmallows will melt faster and cover more surface area. In contrast, jumbo marshmallows will give you those gooey pockets of sweetness.
Yams not only taste delicious but also offer numerous health benefits. They are packed with vitamins A and C, fiber, and potassium, which promote healthy digestion and boost immune function. So why not pair your candied yams with other dishes? Serve them alongside roasted turkey or ham during holiday gatherings or incorporate them into desserts like pies or cakes.
Lastly, try making a smooth and creamy yam puree to get creative in the kitchen beyond just making candied yams. This can be used as a base for soup sauces or added to baked goods for natural sweetness and moisture.
Can I Substitute Sweet Potatoes With Regular Potatoes in This Recipe?
Sure, you can substitute sweet potatoes with regular ones in this recipe. However, remember that the cooking time for candied yams with marshmallows might differ. Experiment and adjust accordingly for the best results!
Can I Use Mini Marshmallows Instead of Regular-Sized Marshmallows?
The basic candied yams recipe can be modified by using micro marshmallows. It adds a fun and cute touch to your dish while still delivering that sweet and fluffy goodness.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time and Reheat It Later?
This recipe can be made ahead and reheated. The best method for reheating candied yams is using the oven or microwave. Just pop them in and enjoy their sweet and fluffy deliciousness!
Can I Use Brown Sugar Instead of White Sugar in the Candied Yams?
You can use brown sugar instead of white sugar in your candied yams. Brown sugar adds a rich caramel flavor that complements the yams perfectly. It’s a delicious alternative to white sugar!
Can I Use Maple Syrup or Honey Instead of Sugar?
You can use alternative sweeteners like maple syrup or honey instead of sugar in your candied yams. Maple syrup adds a rich flavor, while love brings a natural sweetness. Consider the consistency and taste preferences when choosing between them.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully baked a mouthwatering dish of candied yams with marshmallows. The irresistible combination of sweet potatoes and fluffy marshmallows will surely be a hit at any gathering.
Did you know that over 60% of people prefer the oven method for cooking candied yams? It’s no wonder, as the oven brings out the natural sweetness and creates a golden, caramelized topping.
So indulge in this delectable treat and watch your guests’ faces light up with delight!